Part of my journey to a healthier and toxic-free life is figuring out ways to replace the toxic products in my home. That means finder non-toxic replacements or even making my own. In the past, we used Febreze a lot in the bathroom at home. Let me tell you that it is toxic stuff! Air fresheners can contain some pretty serious chemical like phthalates, which can disrupt hormones and cause reproductive harm. After no luck when searching for a toxic-free replacement, I decided to make my own. And it works just as well to cover up the smells! If you have every used or heard of Poo-Pourri, this is a copy cat version. You only need a few things! See below for the how-to.
What you need:
– A 3oz. or 4 oz. glass or stainless steel spray bottle (Don’t use plastic because the chemicals can leach out of the plastic and into the spray. Essential oils can also break down the plastic.)
– 2 TBS Witch Hazel (This helps the oils and water to mix. Don’t worry, you cant smell it once its mixed)
– 10 drops of Lavender essential oil (or any oil you choose)
– 5 drops of Lemon essential oil (or any oil of choice)
– Distilled water
1. Put 2 TBS of witch hazel in bottle.
2. Add essential oils
3. Top with distilled water
4. Shake before use
That’s it! Feel free to mix essential oils to your liking. I’ve heard of people using vodka in place of the witch hazel. Not sure how that would smell but if you have it laying around, maybe give it a try!